DATE: January 1, 2013 2:58:00 AM AKST
For more information contact:
Unified Command Joint Information Center at (907) 433-3417
Update #13: Kulluk status
- The tug Alert intentionally disconnected from the Kulluk at 8:10 p.m., Dec. 31, 2012, to maintain the safety of the nine crewmembers aboard the vessel.
- The Kulluk grounded at 8:48 p.m., Dec. 31, 2012 on Sitkalidak Island on the northern shore of Ocean Bay at a depth of about 32 to 48 feet.
- The Kulluk is currently situated at:
- Latitude: 57˚ -05.4N
- Longitude: 153˚ -06.4W
- The Kulluk has approximately 139,000 gallons of ultra-low sulfur diesel on board. Equipment aboard the Kulluk is estimated to have about 12,000 gallons of combined lube oil and hydraulic fluid.
- The U.S. Coast Guard helicopter overflight detected no visible sheen.
- There are no residents on Sitkalidak Island. The nearest town is Old Harbor, which is located on Kodiak Island.
- More than 250 people are actively involved in the response efforts.
- There have been three minor injuries associated with the incident. All personnel have returned to duty.
All media inquiries should be directed to the Unified Command Joint Information Center Media Line at 907-433-3417. Updates about the response efforts can be found at www.kullukresponse.com.